I’d like to apply! What do I need to submit?
Applicants should submit all application materials via e-mail to the JPTW account (email@example.com) by the application deadline: April 1, 2017.
Please note: undergraduate and graduate students will need to submit one letter of recommendation and should therefore contact potential recommenders immediately to allow recommenders ample time to prepare their letters.
Please compile all elements of the application into a single PDF file and send that file as an e-mail attachment to the address listed above.
Applicants will be asked to submit the following materials as part of the file:
1. A completed Application Form (downloadable here)
2. A Personal Statement describing your reasons for applying to the program; current scholarly or artistic interests; academic/creative/professional goals; and how the JPTW would further them. Why do you want to participate in this program, what would you anticipate contributing to it, and what do you hope to gain from it in the short and long term? What ideas, gestures, artists, or problems motivate your practice and why do you find them compelling?
The Statement should include information about courses taken and/or taught in relevant subjects (such as dance, visual art, music, theater, Japanese culture, criticism and theory, or other relevant training). What do you do well now and what would you like to learn to do better through joining this program?
3. A current Curriculum Vitae
4. One recent critical writing sample (in English or Japanese, not to exceed 10 pages), or sample of recently completed creative work (e.g. link to online archive, portfolio, or video)
5. Undergraduate and graduate students only must submit one letter of recommendation, to be sent directly from the recommender via e-mail as a PDF attachment. Recommenders should submit the signed recommendation on institutional letterhead with this e-mail subject heading:
“JPTW Recommendation for [LAST NAME, First name]”
When will I hear back about whether or not I got in?
Admissions decisions will be sent by April 15th. Participants must respond by May 1st with their signed Participation Agreement. Successful applicants who have not accepted the admission offer by May 1st cede their slot. If slots become available after the May 1st deadline, participants will be selected from the wait list and invited to join the program.